9Mobile Prize for Literature 2018 Application
This is an article which is set to give you guide on 9Mobile Prize for Literature 2018, how to apply, application requirements, qualifications and criteria for entry.
The 9Mobile Prize for Literature is a Pan African prize that celebrates debut African writers of published fiction. The recently concluded Etisalat Prize for Literature award ceremony was held on 20 May 2017 in Lagos, where Jowhor Ile emerged the winner for his debut novel, And After Many Days.
Jowhor is the first Nigerian to win the Prize, which was launched in 2013. Past winners include the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Fiston Mwanza Mujila (2015), South Africa’s Songeziwe Mahlangu (2014) and Zimbabwe’s NoViolet Bulawayo (2013).
The winner receives £15,000, an engraved Montblanc Meisterstück pen, and an Etisalat-sponsored fellowship at the University of East Anglia, where he or she will be mentored by Professor Giles Foden, author of The Last King of Scotland’. The winner and the two runners-up also participate in a multi-city book tour sponsored by Etisalat. Etisalat purchases 1,000 copies of each of the shortlisted titles for distribution to schools, libraries and book clubs across the African continent.
Alongside the Prize for Literature is the Flash Fiction Award, an online-based competition open to all African writers of unpublished short stories of no more than 300 words. The winner of the Flash Fiction Award receives £1,000 and a high-end device, while the two runners-up for the Flash Fiction Award receive £500 each in addition to high-end devices.
Criteria for Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses
- All books entered should have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Entries by new writers must be published within the last 24 months before submission
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of three (3) authors.
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of three years
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
Method Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should Fill and Download (Print) an Application form.
Note, the application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the published book to the address below:
6th Floor, Building 2,
Oriental Office Building 3,
Lekki Road – Victoria Island,